Saturday, August 4, 2007

Eating The UP: Peggy Sue's BBQ

D Magazine rates Peggy Sue's BBQ as a D Best. To which I reply, "Really??" It's not that Peggy Sue's is bad, far from it. It's quite good. It just seems to come up short on the basic element of BBQ -- smoke.

To properly rate this and any BBQ place, one has to order the 3-meat combo, the Holy Trinity of Texas BBQ -- brisket, sausage and ribs. The brisket was a little dry with very little smoke flavor. There was a nice pink smoke ring. So I know it spent some time in the smoker. The ribs too were lacking a strong smoke flavor. Although they were moist and tastey. The winner of the trifecta was the sausage. I got the impression that Peggy Sue's replaces much of the smoke element of their BBQ with pepper. The sausage, very meaty with very little fat, was loaded with pepper. Now I love pepper, so this was a delight. But the sausage too had very little smoke flavor.

Along with the three meats, I had two side dishes -- potato salad and green beans. Both were good. The green beans were especially good with generous dollops of pepper. The onion rings were tastey, but poorly prepared. It as as cook just took an onion, cut it in half, made rings out of one half and then just dump the other half in the batter.


Like I said, this place is good, but I know I've had better. So stay tuned for my upcomming best BBQ in the DFW list. So list your favorites in the comments.

B

6600 Snider Plaza Dallas, Texas 75205

4 comments:

trent said...

You should go to Mac's. Pokey has been there and it is hands down my favorite bbq in Dallas.

Michelle said...

I just watched a special on the Food Network about BBQ. They reviewed places in North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City and Texas. Each had their speciality - NC: chopped pork, pork shoulder, pork whatever; Memphis: ribs; KC - a mixed bag; Texas: brisket!
Texas came in second to Memphis. They featured Sonny Bryan's and Rudy's. I am happy to say I've eaten at both many many times.
Every place featured made it very clear - it's all about the slow cooking...on wood or coals. Everything else (with sauce or without, seasoning, etc.) is just not as important.

jtingermany said...

Don't you people realize how much great, cheap German beer and various Euro wines I'm going to have to drink after reading this? You might as well just thrown bland german food in my face.

bastards.

magpie said...

Still have yet to believe there is any good BBQ that comes out of DFW.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...