Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Eating Dallas: Urban Taco

I thought I had an entrepreneurial seminar today, but it's really tomorrow. So I had the whole day full of nothing and decided to spend it at Mockingbird Station. My first destination was Urban Taco. This is a Mexico City style taco joint. Upon entering, I was not exactly transported to Mexico City. The furniture in this restaurant looked to be from one of those European furniture stores over by the Galleria.

I saddled up to the counter and ordered a 3 taco combo (it comes with 2 sides) and a margarita. They had both mango and passion fruit margaritas. Since I was headed to the Angelika afterwards, I wanted to go full blown AIDS gay, so I went with the passion fruit. It was tart but very tasty. And the pepper flake salt rim was an interesting touch. Oh good christ. Did I really just write that?? I hate when reviewers use the pharse "nice touch" or "interesting touch". I'm just not a touchy person. Handsy, yes. But not touchy.

For my sides I got the roasted corn con lime crema. This was very good. The corn was perfectly roasted and tasted as if it had just been stripped off the cobb. And the dressing was a delicious compliment. I also got the cebollitos -- grilled green onions. I love onions and I love grilled vegetables. But this didn't work for me. I only ate one of the two.

The tacos I got were the chicken tinga which was bland and my least favorite of the three. Second was the garlic mojo red snapper. This was a little better than the chicken. The snapper was a little dry, but had a nice grilled flavor. Finally I had the pork al pastor. Wow was this one good -- full of flavor and tasty porky goodness. I highly recommend them. All three tacos came on very tasty corn tortillas. So even the worst of these tacos will taste good on these tortillas.

I should warn that these tacos are very small -- probably about half the size I was expecting. But the whole meal was filling. And they do have several dessert options. None of which I tried.

B

5331 E Mockingbird Lane Dallas, TX 75206

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually ate there last Saturday. I pretty much agree with you across the board...

Oh, and you're not touchy. You're douchey.

When and where is King of Kong showing? I wanna see it.

swcook said...

Of course you agree with me. I'm your leader.

swcook said...

Oh, and if my email got sent to spam, it's playing at the Magnolia starting tomorrow. I was gonna go after lunch with Peach.

swcook said...

And I could swing by to pick you up.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...