Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Eating Deep Ellum: AllGood Cafe

After slacking off last week, I decided I needed to get back in the swing of things by going somewhere I've really wanted to eat -- AllGood Cafe. Ever since I read about it, and more importantly its chicken fried steak, in Dallas Food I've wanted to make a lunch visit.

Walking into AllGood you are immediately returned to a time when Deep Ellum was relevant. The walls are strewn with old concert posters for Willie and Wilco and The Old 97s. And the place has that kitschy charm that TGI Shenanigan's can only pretend to manufacture.

I, of course, ordered the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and green beans. But I erred in not getting the gravy on the side. Hey, I'm new at this reviewing thing. I fucked up. Stop yelling at me.

The green beans were fresh and delicious. They were not the typical mushy canned variety you normally get. And the potatoes were creamy and garlicky and just plain fantastic. But really, this matters very little. I'm here for CFS. And I must admit I was slightly disappointed. Dallas Food has it as the best in Dallas. It was very good. But the best in Dallas? It's been a while since I've been there (4-5 years I think), but I think Black Eyed Pea has as good if not better. The coating was tasty. But the meat inside was bland although tender. The gravy was OK. I had to add pepper. But that's mostly because I like pepper.

I'm going to be a little generous on the rating. This is a place I would like to return for some of it's other offerings. And it is a place that generic, antiseptic Dallas should cherish.

A-


2934 Main St Dallas, TX 75226

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Go for brunch!! And order a beer or bloody mary!
Yum yum yummikuns!

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...