Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blu-Ray Review: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

You guys were pretty good except you were two penises shy of Shania Twain re-imagination band.
--Nick O’Leary

As someone who has no heart and believes the concept of love is a mythological creature like the Yeti or the female orgasm, it may be difficult to review a movie whose central motifs consist of heartbreak and the notion of a soul mate. But because I’m such a fan of the two stars – Michael Cera will always have a place on my Greatness Mantle for his role as George Michael Bluth and Kat Dennings had me rewinding my DVD until I wore it out to grasp the magnificence of her sweater hams in 40 Year Old Virgin – I’ll give it a try.

So here goes.

Of course I liked it. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is a very sweet love/all-night adventure story with two very likeable, funny characters. In fact, my only complaint about the movie is that when Nick & Norah are not together, the movie bogs down. Cera and Dennings have great chemistry together.

There are not a lot of big belly laughs. But there are a lot of good lines. Think Juno only not stuck up in its own ass as much and more likeable characters.

  • 0 breasts
  • 2 beasts
  • Vomit-fu
  • Indie-Rock-fu


Academy Award nomination for Michael Cera for being brilliant in everything he does.


Academey Award nomination for Ari Graynor for the best drunk girl I’ve seen since Martinipalooza.

A-


King Wally says check it out.

2 comments:

SG said...

I second your review. Although it has all the makings of another typical high school love quest riddled with pot holes and awkward moments they included a few more enlighted layers with the nonpop music, solid comic relief with Michael, and obviously oblivious parents letting their kids kick it all night in NYC.

Lauren said...

Aaack... I could not disgree more!! I pretty much wanted to kill every character in this movie. Nick was such a pansy. Nora was just kinda... off (who takes underwear from random guys in a van??). Also, this cannot be said enough: Where are these kids' parents????

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...