Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Eating Dallas: Highland Park Cafeteria

One of the nice things about having a birthday is that I'm now one year closer to getting all my food exclusively from cafeterias. As such, I made a visit to what is supposed to be one of the best cafeterias in the history of cafeterias -- historic Highland Park Cafeteria.

Upon walking in, I was delighted to find myself in the bottom decile, by age, of all people in the restaurant, including staff. I still got it.

I really wanted some chicken fried steak, but saddly it was not CFS day. So I went with one of their other staples, plain ol' fried chicken. My sides included green beans and sour cream mashed potatoes.

The chicken was good, but seriously not anywhere near as good as Popeyes. I love the spicy. The sides I would rate better than average. The potatoes tasted real and not from a box.

To cap off my meal, I had a nice slice of peach pie. The HPC is also well know for it's pies so this was gonna be quite a treat. Well, not so fast. The peaches tasted like they were from a can and the crust, while texturally well done, had little flavor.

This may be a great cafeteria. But there's a reason the cafeteria has gone the way of the do-do. It's a food concept who's time was gone long ago.

C-

1200 N Buckner, Dallas TX 75218

View Larger Map

No comments:

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...