Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Eating Clackamas: Gustav’s Pub & Grill

I really lucked out on this place.

This day, Monday day 12, was the first time I really felt beaten down. After driving from Seattle to Portland I started driving around and progressively started getting more tired. I needed a nap. I didn't quite know where I was. But I at least knew I was in the Portland area. So I decided that the next hotel I saw I was stopping and going to take a nap. Up ahead was a Comfort Inn. So I exited and thought that the entrance was just past the light. It wasn't and now I was back on the highway. The next exit had I Best Western. OK. I've figured this out. So, this time at the light I turn right. Nope, I should have gone straight. Turning back around I got back on the access road, and saw that right next to the Best Western was Gustav's Pub & Grill. Well, no amount of traffic confusion was going to keep me from this place.

I sat at the bar and immediately ordered a Franziskaner. It's a good week when this is the worst beer you've had. For food, I got the crab cake Caesar side salad and the pork schnitzel cordon bleu. Back in my youth, there was a place in Ft. Worth called Der Heidleberger Hof (or some such) which featured schnitzel cordon bleu. This was my "family's" special occasion place and I would always get the cordon bleu.

The salad was good but the crab cakes were just ok. The cordon bleu was very good and the German potato salad had a nice twang. Regrettably there was no room for dessert. But there was plenty of room for more beer. I finished off with an Optimator and several Bridgeport IPAs while chatting with John, this older dude who gave me some good pointers on what to see and not see in the area.

B

12605 Se 97th Ave Clackamas, OR 97015

No comments:

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...