Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Eating New Haven: Louis' Lunch

I loves me some teevee shows about food. Whenever there's a show about the best hamburgers or donuts or steaks or sangwiches I'm tuned in. And one place that shows up time and time again is Louis' Lunch.

This is a place that has been around since the 1800s and claims to have invented the hamburger. Their cooking apparatus was built in the early 1900s. They are these unique vertical grills where the meat is placed vertically in a cage and cooked on both sides at the same time. The bread is then toasted on a toaster from the 1920s. Cheese, onion and tomato are then placed on the medium rare burger.

And here's what you get for $5:


To which I say "eh".

This burger is ok at best. Mushy from under cooking with only a modicum of flavor. Here's what I don't get. It took a good 10 minutes in a nearly empty restaurant to cook my burger. 10 minutes for medium rare????

If this burger were in Dallas, it would not come close to making my Top 10 Burgers List. And that includes Whataburger and my out of town favorite In-n-Out Burger.

Sorry. This is one over hyped burger.

C

261-263 Crown Street New Haven, CT 06510

No comments:

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...