Sunday, October 12, 2008

Walkabout 2008: Day 1

Walkabout plans are often nebulous. It's the nature of the Walkabout. The Walkabout tells you where to go and how to get there. You don't tell the Walkabout how to go about it's bidness.

So, as you may have guessed, my plans went out the window right here on day 1. Originally I had planned to take a leisurely drive from Dallas to Nashville. If time permitted, maybe try to make it to Knoxville. And, in fact, the first couple of hours resembled first half of day 1 last year.

I had to bring my Aunt in New Jersey a case of Ranch Style Beans. And what better place to purchase said case than at a Piggly Wiggly in Sulphur Spings?




Sulphur Springs is also a county seat, so that requires a picture.


There you go, Margaret. This is easily the tiniest County Courthouse I've ever seen.

After seeing and photoging my requisite courthouse I journeyed on the side roads to Texarkana. But the problem is that there was nothing interesting. No more courthouse or quaint downtown areas.

After Texarkana, my plan was to stop by Hope and take some pix of the Clinton birthplace. It seemed like the thing to do. Except that 1) Hope is crazy congested with equally crazy constructed and 2) the signage for the Clinton stuff was so poor I gave up looking for it and headed on to Memphis where I took these pix.



I40 Bridge over the Mississippi.

A Duck.

Again I had a plan. I was supposed to have Memphis BBQ at Leonard's. But I got there at 3pm and the dinner buffet doesn't start until 4:30. I didn't want to wait and my laptop battery was inexplicably dead. So I couldn't find an alternative.

It was then I decided to go all-in and try to get to Roanoke by the end of night 1 instead of night 2. I figured with only the necessary stops, I could get there by 2am (1am by my body clock).

But what I didn't consider was that once I got there ALL of the hotels would be full up with VTech alums or somesuch. There was no place to stay and I had few options at this time of night to find a place.

So I drove straight through the night to Washington DC.

But that's for Day 2.

1 comment:

magpie said...

It looks like a miniature castle, but the one in Waxahachie still gets my vote as the coolest.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...