Thursday, October 11, 2007

Eating Lakewood: Cock and Bull

I had heard nothing but raves about the food at this tiny Lakewood bar. On Pokemon's bachelor party pub crawl we stop here and ordered all three of the blackboard specials: seared tuna, wild boar and the fabulous duck 3 way. All three were so good that a promise was made that a return visit would soon occur. And tonight that promise was fulfilled.

After perusing the menu online I knew exactly what I was going to get – the Bison New York strip. I had had a buffalo burger in Portland and was eager to stuff some more down my endangered species hole. The meat was amazingly tasty although lean. It was a bit overly peppered. But I likes me some pepper. The promised roasted Yukon Gold potatoes were substituted with garlic mashed potatoes and spinach. Both were nearly perfect.

But as good as this was, I have to admit that the burgers of my dinnermates were even better. The Old Monk may have a lost its place as #1 on my best burger list.

My only complaint with the C&B is its beer list. It's not bad, but it doesn't have anything special – ie no regional microbrews. Sorry, the Pac NW spoiled me.

A

6330 Gaston Ave. Dallas, TX 75214

2 comments:

jtingermany said...

Can you nail down this best burger thing to at least 2 by December? I have to eat BBQ, mexican, thai & indian, too while home.

swcook said...

Ok. Well for burger, C&B I think may be the best. BBQ we'll have to get you out to Mac's near Fair Park. And for TexMex, The Original in FtW. Too bad you're not here for Thanksgiving. Duane is organizing our second bi-annual Day After Thanksgiving Grub Crawl. I think you made some of it 2 years ago.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...