Saturday, January 28, 2012

2011 in Review: Top Ten Meals

IMG_8101

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 Ocean Prime (Dallas, TX)

This may have been rated higher (or lower) if I could vividly remember this meal.  But I think it was pretty good.  Plus it introduced me to Penner Ash Pinot Noir.
9
Le Perraudin  (Paris, France)
A traditional French meal in a traditional French restaurant.
8
Schweine Janes (Dusseldorf, Germany)
Slow roasted pork sandwich.  What more do you need to know?
7
Preist Station Cafe (Groveland, CA)

An absolutely gorgeous view of the sunset and cheap bottle of wine to go with some pretty good comfort food.
6
Restaurant in Beilstein Germany

I went with the Schnitzel.  It was delicious.  Plus, there was the beautiful view of the Mosel.
5
Wayfare Tavern (San Francisco, CA)

After a weekend out basking in the beauty of the Sierra Nevadas, could there be a better way to celebrate than putting Effingham Inlet oysters in your face?
4 Hotel Villa Melsheimer (Reil, Germany)
This is more because this may be my favorite day of 2011.  And this is my favorite meal of my favorite day of 2011.  There was a meal earlier in the day (and referenced about) that was tastier.  But for the overall vibe of Zweibelkuchen and Federweisser and 40+ kilometers of biking, nothing could beat this.  And, yes, I still love you Amy.
3 Au Bon Bol (Brussels, Belgium)

.Of all the great meal I had in Europe in 2011, this is the one I obsess on.  It could be because I hadn’t eaten, thanks to Lufthansa’s 24 hour Gander delay, a good meal in two days.  It could be because, thanks to paleo, I hadn’t eaten any noodles in over 6 months.  But whatever the reason, the artisan noodles with crispy duck were absolutely sublime.
2 Lucia (Oak Cliff, Texas)
The first time I ate at what I now consider my favorite Dallas restaurant I felt like I was in Portland. That’s how good I think this place is.  It takes me to a much better place.   The second time I ate here I surpassed my first experience.  Eat everything here all the time always.
1 Elliot’s Oyster House (Seattle WA)
It is impossible to consider any other meal in 2011 as better than this one.  It started off with a dozen pacific oysters, followed by geoduck, crab cakes, a giant serving of more crab and then another dozen pacific oysters.  And all of this on a dock overlooking Puget Sound and drinking a couple of bottles of a delightful Oregon Pinot Noir.

2 comments:

laurenGrace said...

The main thing I remember about 10 is the word "condom" being spoken at an inappropriately loud volume.

swcook said...

Wow. I don't remember that at all.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...