Saturday, March 22, 2008

Netflix Review: No Country For Old Men

I should state up front that I am a big fan of the Coen brothers. As you can see from the list of my top 10 favorite moves, two are from the Coen brothers. And there are others -- The Hudsucker Proxy, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, The Big Lebowski -- that are also huge favorites of mine.

But with any great artists there are also great misses. Seriously people, Blood Simple is just a bad episode of Threes' Company. And what the hell were they thinking with The Ladykillers???

But No Country belongs in the first list. No quite making my top 10, this is still a great film worth of the Oscar it received. (unlike There Will Be Blood, which was largely a beatiful mess)

By this point, you've probably been beaten down with what this movie is about, so I won't rehash that. If you're still interested, though, IMDB it.

The greatest controversy of this film is the ending. Reviewer after reviewer complained about the ending. I don't see it. It ends strangely, yes I agree. But, to me, the movie ends about 20 minutes after the main story ends. But, I guess, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Overall, this movie held my attention from start to finish. It is an amazing thriller.
  • 0 Breasts
  • 1 Beast
  • 8 murders
  • coin-flip fu
  • pit-bull fu
  • Academy Award nomination for Stephen Root for finally getting his comeupence for burning down Initech.
  • Academy Award nomination for Javier Bardem for, oh wait, never mind.

King Wally says check it out.

A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Country for Old Men was unassumingly original, impeccably crafted by the Coen brothers... i submit that the award the they receieved for this flick were well-deserved.

trippy ending too, eh?

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...