- Obviously I did make it to South Dakota.
- It’s kind of a national travesty that the Crazy Horse Monument has made so little progress.
- Like the Mona Lisa, Mount Rushmore is much smaller than I ever imagined.
- The roads leading up to Mount Rushmore are lined with silly roadside attractions like The Flintstone amusement park. Old novelty attractions from a bygone era of family road trips.
- Deadwood was a huge disappointment. Nearly everything on the main drag is a stupid slot-machine “casino” or had some part of Wild Bill Hickok in its name.
- The Dakotah Steak House was a bit of disappointment. Shouldn’t a restaurant know not to serve the main course before the appetizer is finished? And what’s with overpowering your buffalo rib eye with some strange orange zest sauce? Only slightly made up for by having Macallen 18.