Monday, May 5, 2008

Witnessing Greatness

Greatest Game Ever!
At least the greatest game I've ever been witness to.
I try not to get too sporty on this blog. But when I see the most greatest game played in Dallas sports history along with two of the most amazing exhibitions of goal-tending in NHL history, I figure I should have a blurb about that in my blog.
For the uninitiated, the Stanley Cup playoffs are the greatest (there's that word again, for chrissake, someone buy me a thesaurus) sports spectacle our continent has to offer. And one of the things that makes them so great are the multi-overtime marathons.
The Stars and the Sharks essentially played 2+ games last night. Which begs the question "How can soccer live with itself settling it's big championships with a shootout?" Yes the game slowed down quite a bit. But the hockey game was settled like a hockey game and not a skills competition.
But I digress.
Then, just seconds after Brendan Morrow buried a Stefan Robidas pass into the Shark's net (ooh that sounded really sporty), we got to witness the another thing that makes the hockey playoffs so great -- the handshake. How could you not be moved seeing Mike Modano and Jeremy Roenick's long touching embrace. Two of the US's greatest hockey players in one last battle.
I wish I had more say about this game that you couldn't find in the newspaper or other more sporty blogs. But, I guess, all I have left to say is that it was an amazingly intense experience that I plan on forming a religion around.









Watch the highlights from Canadian TV.

No comments:

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...