Whelp. That was a fast five years.
It was five years ago today that my life changed. I took a voluntary layoff from Nortel and started blogging. What followed was hours of self-absorbed observations of both the ordinary and mundane, as well as lots and lots of pictures of adorable marmots.
So what have we learned?
- Everyone around me that I don’t actually know is either a douchenozzle or an asshat.
- The Pacific Northwest is awesome and it’s a mystery why I didn’t move there 4 1/2 years ago.
- Bird law in this country is not governed by reason.
- With beer, red wine and scotch, one need never go thirsty.
- Blogging once a day is hard. Podcasting once every two years is almost impossible.
- It’s worth traveling 5300 miles for a pig sandwich.
- When you play the game of thrones, you’re gonna see a lot of titties.
- Cavemen apparently ate a shit tonne of coconut.
- I could literally eat my weight in Pacific oysters. Literally.
- Don’t fuck with Heisenberg, Omar, Nucky or Tywin Lannister.
- You do have to make the last out of a World Series game in order to be awarded the trophy.
- The dream of the 90s is alive in Portland. Both 1990s and 1890s.
- She didn’t really say that.
- Tip of the Day: Don’t smash your face.
- Solitude is the great dagger of the Lonely Moules Boy.
- The four worst things in the world: Moving, The Holocaust, Pancreatic Cancer and pediatric AIDS, in that precise order.
- Here’s the Church. Here’s the steeple. Open the door and just eat all the people.
- A certain area husky is painfully photogenic.
- Don’t attend your own funeral as a guy named Phil Shiffley
- If loving Yu is wrong, I don’t want to be right.
- Duck fat rules
- The Miami Beach audience is the greatest audience in the world.
- M as in Mancy
- Don’t play black jack in Oklahoma. But if you do, don’t be a pussy and play one $100 hand.
- Don’t believe JT. The Westvleteren is fantastic. But he was oh so right about Schweine Janes.
- Charcuterie and red wine can resolve almost any disagreement.
- Never underestimate the healing power of laughter.
- The Tioga Pass road is a national treasure. – the Sonora Pass road, even more so.
In no Particular Order, the Top 10 Events of the Past Five Years
- Biking through Paris at night
- Making snow-angels in the Sierra Nevadas in July
- A deer (Norman Skeese) walking up to me in Olympic National Park
- Pub crawl in Pittsburgh
- Flying kites on the Columbian River in Hood River OR
- Getting lost for an hour in Sequoia National Park
- U Fleku
- Biking down the Mosel valley.
- Van Morrison in the Hollywood Bowl
- Floating in the Mediterranean
Thank you for all who helped make this happen.
And now for another five years.