Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shitty Ending to a Day

I can't say I had "One of those days", but I did have "One of those evenings".

It all kinda started last week when I was moved from my nice private cube into a shared office. It's not the sharing I'm against. Although I'm an only child and thus hate to share. It's more like little things that used to work don't quite anymore.

In my cube I had an "ergonomic" desk that had holes for mice and other cables. Not so in the new office. My mouse only reaches halfway across my desk. So my "window of mousing" is very small.

But most importantly the LAN connection in my new office is as slow as my old CompuServe account. For a couple of days I thought I had fucked up and somehow made the application I'm working on dog slow (which makes no sense since dogs are fast).

Well this all leads up to the end of today. Occasionally we send people out to collect data and upload it to our server. I have a small app that fires off that takes that uploaded data and pushes into our database.

But not quite today.

First, the geniuses in IT think we should change our passwords every 15 minutes. So, the scheduled task on the server didn't fire because the password I used to schedule the task was no longer valid.

Ok, that's easily fixed -- but wait. My coworker changed one of the tables I push the data into.

Ok, I'll recompile and try again. But wait, part of my app moves the uploaded file from one server to another. I need to copy it back. Except that with my slow connection it took 2 minutes to copy a 2M file.

Well after trying to figure everything out and nothing working it 6:30pm and I decided to give up, go home and then go play some Ultimate.

Except that my 1yo Xterra decided that today would be the day it would teach me how to change one of it's tires. As I pull out of my parking spot, I hear and feel the tell-tale rumbling of a flat tire. So I spend the next 15 minutes 1) searching for my tire changing tools 2) figuring out how to disengage my spare from my car frame.

Eventually I got it all figured out and after about 45 minutes I got rolling home.

Now I'm tired and am going to the Barley House for many beers.

2 comments:

jtingermany said...

Fortunately, you were able to end with "the cause of, and solution to, all the world's problems"!

magpie said...

Now you know how I feel every day at work.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...