Friday, August 29, 2008

No One Should Ever Go To PC ASAP To Get Their Laptop Fixed

My snarkitude had been temporarily silenced by a dead laptop, as many of you (and by many, I mean the handful that read this dreck) have complained. I can't help but hope the time wasted reading my blog was replaced with spending time with family, reading scripture or bringing food and friendship to shutins. But I fear it was spent vigorously watching the Paraguay Women's Javelin team. At least that's how I spent the extra time.

Faced with a broken laptop, I headed up to PC ASAP, the place I took my previous laptop when it died. Three years ago, I brought it there and got it back the next day. So why wouldn't I go there again??

So I did just that. And I was disappointed I didn't get it the next day -- or the next week. I called after one week had passed and was told "Oh, I'm just getting to it. I'll call you back in an hour and tell you what's wrong with it."

There was no call back.

The weekend passed and I called back to find out what was up.

"Oh, uhm, we're waiting for a part from HP. It should be here in a couple of days."

Yet another week passed and I called back again this past Tuesday. Finally my laptop was ready to be picked up. When I went to retrieve my precious, I ask what was wrong with it.

"Your memory wasn't sitting right. So we took them out and put them back in to re-seat them. It booted right up."

WHAT???

You fuckers had my computer for three weeks. That took 2 minutes.

The dude apologised and didn't understand why the misinformation. But the place is extremely disorganized -- reminding me of my days at the MicroCenter I worked at back at A&M. Every time I called I had to go through the routine of which computer it was and what was wrong with it. Shouldn't they just bring up my file on their computer system and see what was wrong with it and, more importantly, where it is. You see, that was the kicker. When I did go to pick it up, I had to point out which computer in the back it was. They had no tracking system and had to call the technician at home to find out what he did. Shouldn't that have been in my "file"???

So don't go there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

next time just call me and I will "reseat your memory"

jtingermany said...

"Normally you have to pay double for that kind of action, Cotton."
-- Pepper the announcer, Dodgeball

magpie said...

It always amazes me when technology places don't actually use technology to make them not suck.

Vanabout 2019 Day 28: Aberdeen

Still South Dakota. Found a cute campground that most of the year is a hopping family holiday retreat. But it’s cold and snowy and latish Oc...